What does it mean to stay focused?
Removing all possible distractions so that a task can be completed in the most efficient amount of time.
Below are some ways we have found that help us stay productive.
Is a method of turning off distractions and preventing burnout. You can set a time for 25 minutes. During this time you are zoned in on a single task at a time, but possibly completing many tasks during a pomodoro (segment of time). When the timer goes off, take a 5 minute break. Rinse and repeat.
Checking out the Pomodoro tool as a Google Chrome extension.
A method to where you bring your email inbox to zero unread messages. This looming number of unread emails can be distracting. Getting to zero throughout the day has it’s elements of satisfaction and can help with keeping your focused.
Listening to music that keeps your brain focused. Here are some playlists that we mentioned and listen to.
– Productive Morning on Spotify
– Deep Focus on Spotify
Quick Tips For Getting Focused
– wearing a hat (18% productivity boost)
– setting hard stops in meetings (defining the start/stop)
– silence your phone and turning on Do Not Disturb
– being ruthless about not talking to people (boundaries)
We created a simple guide to help you decide if you need a set of noise-canceling headphones. We find them to be a solid investment for anyone looking for less distractions during work. Try the questionnaire.
Stay Productive Headphones Guide
Books mentioned and lesson learned:
– Linchpin by Seth Godin – Mentions how the primal brain is focused on survival and keeping you safe. The “lizard brain” where instincts and gut feelings originate. This is the part of our brains that keep us from being focused and completing a goal.
– Bounce by Matthew Syed – Intense practice helps you get you where you want to go. This book revolves around the 10,000 hour rule to becoming a master in your craft. It a great read for those who are still wondering what career is right for them.
We hope you enjoyed this episode and look forward to your feedback, questions, and high-fives. Cheers!
Support the show:
– Find out more about our half day productivity workshop for you business.
– Want to see see the other tools we use and books we read? Checkout our resources page.
Ask us a question about staying focused on Twitter.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |